Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Sunday Whatever

Happy Sunday- Day of Rest, Faith and Contemplation.

I love Sundays, the thick Sunday Paper, CBS Sunday Morning (A Wonderful TV magazine show) Sleeping in, Coffee with my wife. Quiet times. Ahh Sunday!

Now onto what bugs me in my mind today...

I wish that TV providers like Comcast, Verizon, Dish and others would adopt TIVO technology within their DVRs. Folks, TIVO has already worked out the bugs, settled on a wonderful user interface and has set the industry standard. But these other services not wanting to deal with TIVO have come up with their own software and use Motorola boxes. (I do not know who makes the boxes for Dish).

I had Directv with Tivo DVR. And loved it! The only problem I had was the fact I would have to program a early and or late start for some programs because the networks play with those times and the Motorola box from Verizon Fios address this and there are no more missed openings or endings cut off. But the is the only good thing!

The software interface is awful and clumsy plus the service at times cracks-up and pixels or the sound goes out. And this is fiber-optics!

I have not made my mind up yet about going back to Directv they even have replaced TIVO with one of their own devices. Sheesh!

However Fios Internet is WONDERFUL!!! I average almost 5,000 down and around 1,900 up. That beats cable and DSL and if I wanted to pay more I could increase that speed 15,000 or 30,000 down.

TIVO is the greatest fun invention in years.

Right now I am watching the Mavs/Spurs game 1, go Mavs! Beat these guys and get that monkey off your backs. You can beat the Spurs, it's possible! Just believe.

America stand-up for yourselves and stop letting other countries dictate who and what we are! A Superpower does have global responsibilities and hiding our heads in the sand won't make the world's ills go away. Am I happy with the way the present administration is handling things... no! But they are the ones leading right now and we need to let them. Voting changes things not complaining.

Should we stick our noses into other peoples business? Yes if it means harm to our country and those who support us. But we also need to commit when we do and see it through to the finish.

We also need to be more careful with who we back... we seem to have a history of backing future enemies. Russia (During and right after WWII), Castro, Osama, Saddam, Noreiga to mention a few.

It is hard to be all things to all people, nigh impossible to please everyone. That is why I can't figure why anyone would want to be President. A centrist or a libertarian seems to have things right but implementing them is another thing. With our two party system we will always be fighting each other for the best way to govern.

But what should government be about? For me: infrastructure, Defense, Education, unifying the states, Protecting our borders, Keeping peace in the world and setting an example of how a soceity can lead and survive and grow.

They should not tell us how to live or what to do as long as we do not harm those around us. Free society has to have some rules/laws to live by so human nature doesn't run out of control. But life here should be about common sense, thinking of how your actions affect others and taking responsibility for your actions. Also freedom of choice, that makes us great. You don't like that show change the channel, you don't like that movie/actor don't buy a ticket or rent the dvd. You like something support it, you don't, don't, it's really that simple. Also live within your means. Now that one is very hard to do in a capitalist society. But remember this is just about the best we got, there is no Utopian place it wouldn't work... because of human nature.

Well that's it for now... I've pontificated enough for one blog... Please comment...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply,Hi...
It's nice to get to know your thoughts on items we rarely have time or opportunity to discuss. I'm proud to know you treasure, respect and utilize your right, priviege, and opportunity to vote.
I also agree that infrastructure is a global problem. So much aid, support, rescue, etc., is stymied by the inability to deliver help where it is needed most.

I appreciate this new opportunity to communicate.

P.S. I love you
Yo Momma

Eric said...

Hey, it's DS, aka Couchguy! Shouldn't you also be watching the new Battlestar Galactica?!

Eric
(la_filmmaker)